Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cast-Iron, I *heart* you!

After trolling antique stores, flea markets and all the little we-have-everything general stores, we have assembled a nice little cast-iron collection.

I don't know why I didn't start using it earlier. I remember my Mom cooking with it when I was a kid but then as I got older all that slick t-fal non-stick stuff became so popular.

I love the even heat of the cast iron and that it can go from stove top to oven and back to stove top or whatever order works for you. The dutch ovens (I'm still on the hunt for a decently sized and priced one of these) can be used as a slow cooker or deep fryer or anything in between.

I have a cookbook I picked up specifically for cast iron and once the kitchen is mostly unpacked I can't wait to try out some of the recipes.

What I like best about my new collection? That taken care of properly, I will NEVER have to replace it. It's kind of like an investment. Buy the right pieces, put together a collection that will work for how/what you cook and your good to go.

Now I can get rid of my other warped pans......now which boxes would they be in???????

No comments:

Post a Comment