Saturday, September 22, 2012

Opossum, my possum

I had noticed lately that something had been lurking around my porch at night. A garbage bag eaten through, some cloth piled up in a corner like a mouse would do.....only bigger.

I put out a old fashioned rat trap and hoped for the best. Last night after dark I heard a loud sound and realized I had caught something! I grabbed the big flashlight and slowly went outside....at the same time I opened the door I started panicking....what if I had caught a skunk, that would not be good.

I shined the flashlight behind the bench where I had laid the trap and was startled to see a possum. Alive.

Not sure why but it never really crossed my mind that I would catch anything besides a mouse or rat and I had no clue what to do with this guy. He wasn't very menacing but I still don't want him taking up residence on my porch.

In the end I put a call into my neighbors who were kind enough to come over and help me with it even though it was getting late.

Mr. Chad put on his gloves and grabbed this guy and as it turns out, he wasn't even stuck in the trap, just stuck in the area where I had put the trap. He took the little guy and released him far away from the house.

Thank goodness Allen and I have such nice neighbors. I think today I will be baking a batch of thank you cookies :)

No comments:

Post a Comment